Wheel Chair Lights

6:34 PM

Well my friend?s grandmother just got one of those nifty motorized scooters and she wheeled it right into Starbucks and sat down with us for Coffee. Pretty cool and she got one that matched her SUV and it sits on a little rack that comes out of the trailer hitch class five slot. Anyway, she says she loves it, but I asked her what does she do at night, as it has no light. She said; ?Oh, I don?t like to use it at night much because I cannot see to well without lights, especially in dark parking lots, I just don?t feel safe and all.?

We discussed this and she said she was thinking about upgrading to the Super Deluxe Model, which costs $10,000, hers is only $7,800 plus tax she said. Interesting that a unit that costs $7,800.00 did not have a light on it? She told us a friend of hers who turned her onto the Scooter Concept has the $10,000.00 model and it has a light but that when she runs the light too, the batteries do not last as long. We kind of had laugh, as she was barrowing the outlet at Starbucks to charge while she had her coffee, the same outlet that I am using for my laptop type this article now that she has left.

I told her about a new way to light things up, as I just duct taped a flashlight to my Segway, well a friends Segway, I am borrowing until he gets back from China, mine should be arriving soon on order. She said; ?well duct taping a flashlight on my motorized wheel chair scooter would only mean, I have to keep buying batteries!? I explained that my flashlight does not require batteries and that is magic, or rather it lights up using electromagnetic induction technology to charge a capacitor instead of the lights working off a battery or power source.

Currently there are some nifty micro-flashlights being used which you can buy which use a similar technique and are available thanks to the Everlite Flashlight technology research lab. These smaller flashlights work by shaking them for about thirty seconds and shine for about 6 minutes and they shine quite bright since they use a very bright LED light. Here is a link to this home use flashlight:

http://demo.physics.uiuc.edu/LectDemo/scripts/demodescript.idc?DemoID=1138

So, I propose all those folks designing scooters and the Scooter Store get smart and add the lighting option, which uses no battery and will not be a drain on the electrical system for improved performance and increased endurance. It would make all wheel chairs safer for senior citizens, the cost is nominal and the increased safety factor will prevent unnecessary spills or injury. This in turn will save us in our nation?s tax contributions towards healthcare. After all we are all living longer and someday we might be cruising around in chaired scooters too? Think on this.

Lance Winslow - Online Think Tank forum board. If you have innovative thoughts and unique perspectives, come think with Lance; www.WorldThinkTank.net/wttbbs/